One Pot Spiced Apple Cake

One Pot Spiced Apple Cake

Cake recipes that only require one bowl and a bit of mixing by hand are gold.  They are usually so straight forward that a kid could make them.  This one is easy but it does require a little knife work with slicing the apples, some heat to melt the butter but then all you need is a spoon to mix.

This is an Annabel Langbein recipe except I don’t add the raisins and walnuts that are in the original as my kids tend to pick those out.  It should be noted that not all of my kids do that.  Matilda prides herself on the fact that she love nuts and raisins.  The younger two love to eat sultanas and raisins on their own but not cooked into things.  I trust they will grow out of this but in the meantime, as I make this cake for school lunches, it is raisin and nut free and just as yummy.

One Pot Spiced Apple Cake

This is a fabulous cake for a school lunch box.  My kids adore it and Levi asks for an extra big slice for sharing as his friends love it too. It is moist and keeps well for several days plus it freezes well.  It doesn’t crumble all over the kids when they eat it and above all, it is delicious. I guarantee that no one could resist this cake when still warm from the oven.  The house is filled with the scent of cinnamon and apple.  Just perfect served as a dessert when it is still warm with some cream or custard.  This recipe is a keeper.

One Pot Spiced Apple Cake

one pot spiced apple cake

(slightly adapted from a recipe by Annabel Langbein from her book ‘Simple Pleasures’)

25og unsalted butter
3-4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 cups caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F). Grease and line the side of a 26cm round cake tin with baking paper.

In a large pot (large enough to hold all the cake batter) add the butter and melt over a low heat.  Remove the pot from the heat and add the sliced apples and sugar.  Mix together then mix in the eggs.  Sift over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined smoothly.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake until golden and cooked which is about 1 hour and 20 minutes.  If the cake is browning too quickly then cover with some foil.  Test the cake with a skewer to make sure it is cooked in the center.  I have found that I’ve had to leave the cake to cook for a further 20 minutes, covered with foil, until it is cooked.  The center of the cake should bounce back when pressed.

Leave to cool for 15 minutes before taking out of the tin.

This entry was posted in Afternoon Tea, Baking, Cakes, School Lunches. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to One Pot Spiced Apple Cake

1. Kathy says:

Sounds and looks fabulous, I cannot wait to make this cake on the weekend.
    I have a bowl of Granny Smith apples on the bench ready and waiting.
    Cheers, Kathy

You are set then. Those apples have their fate sealed. It really is a fantastic cake. My oven seems to be lower in temp then it says as my cakes always seem to take longer then they should. I made this cake a few weeks ago at night and I was so tired and desperate for it to hurry up and cook. I tested it every 10 minutes after the suggested time for half an hour extra. It was painful but the results were perfect and I was happy I waited. Hopefully it is just my oven. Happy baking Kathy!

• Kathy says:

Thank you Natalie. We replaced our oven recently as our old and faithful literally died! I was nervous about christening our new oven as like your oven, it seems to be slower than the dial suggested. I started with a Nigella Chocolate Guinness cake and had to cook the cake much longer than I had in my old oven. I bought an oven thermometer from a kitchenware store and realised that it is about 20c out. Anyway, I forward to baking this cake Natalie. I have ‘simple pleasures’ but have not cooked from it. Thank you for bringing this cake to my attention.
        Cheers, Kathy

2. Brooke says:

Hi Nat – maybe get an oven thermometer so you know exactly where it’s at. I often wonder how calibrated our home ovens really are! Just a quick note – I made your/Mandy’s brownies the other day and I love that the oven continues to smell of them even after cooking one or two other things in there! Well mine does anyway. AND! I am LOVING all the blogging your doing. You’re inspiring me!

Yes I thought I should do that. I use to have one but I have a feeling I left it in the oven a few houses ago. I have had to adapt to so many different ovens over the last couple of years.

3. Brooke says:

Oh my latest thing is vegan cooking… It’s quite a challenge and one of my neighbours is a mostly vegan vego (she realises she can’t be totally vegan in a place like Dili!) so I’ve been trying to find recipes that I can cook here for her in the land of no vego replacement foods. I’ve even started a pinterest board – are you on pinterest? Perhaps I should switch to email instead of leaving tomes on your blog! Take care xx

I can happily go vegetarian but vegan is a significant step I don’t think I could do. You are a good neighbour! And yes I am on pinterest!