Baharat BBQ Steaks With Sweet Potato Mash And Mint Yoghurt Sauce

BBQ

My goodness it has been a long time since I had a steak on the BBQ.  We bought some sirloin steaks on the weekend and I couldn’t wait to get home and fire up our new Weber.  I knew exactly what I was going to cook.

Joel set me up so I could catch up on some Australian TV and I have lost quite of few hours of my evenings lately watching My Kitchen Rules and The Block: All Stars.  I can’t decide what I like watching more – stressed out cooking frenzy or stressed out reno frenzy.  I’d prefer both without the stress.

On My Kitchen Rules the gorgeous Melbourne ladies, Angela and Melina, made Baharat Beef with Sweet Potato Mash and Mint Yoghurt Sauce.  Gosh it sounded good and now I’ve given it a whirl I can verify it tastes fantastic.  The mash alone is worth making again and again.  I want to serve it with a sticky Asian style braised lamb shank or BBQ chicken thighs marinated in soy, ginger, garlic, lime, lemongrass and oil. Or just stick with the recipe and replace the steak for some lamb cutlets, chops or backstrap – the flavours just would work perfectly with lamb.  But our steaks were beautifully cooked to medium/rare and I’ll be making this recipe again and again.

Baharat BBQ Steak With Sweet Potato Mash And Mint Yoghurt Sauce

baharat bbq steaks with sweet potato mash and mint yoghurt sauce

(adapted from a recipe from Angela and Melina from My Kitchen Rules)

baharat beef

4 x 150g scotch fillet steaks  (I used sirloin steaks)

roast tomatoes

500g cherry vine tomatoes
2 tsp olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

spice marinade

½ tsp ground star anise
¼ tsp ground nutmeg

mint yoghurt sauce
250g (1 cup) Greek yoghurt
juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove
1 cup fresh mint leaves (plus extra for garnish)
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch ground cumin
pinch sweet paprika

sweet potato mash

1kg sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced thickly
1 lime
¼ cup finely chopped coriander
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs butter

Mix all the spices together for the spice marinade and rub all over the steaks.  Cover and leave in the fridge to marinade for several hours or overnight.  Bring the meat to room temperature right before cooking.

Process all the ingredients for the mint yoghurt sauce.  Season to taste.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (395 degrees F).

To make the mash place the sweet potato in a baking dish.  Zest the limes and put aside.  Slice the lime in half and place, cut side down, on the top of the sweet potatoes.  Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through.  Carefully remove the foil and squeeze the limes over the sweet potatoes and mash until smooth. Add the reserved lime zest and remaining ingredients and give it all a quick mash together.

Put the cherry tomatoes on a tray and drizzle with the oil.  Season and roast for 15-20 minutes.

Preheat the BBQ to hot.  Season the steaks with salt and drizzle a little oil over each steak (I just try and pat a little oil on the steak as I don’t want to brush off any of the lovely spices).  Cook the steak for 2-3 minutes each side and let it rest for 10 minutes on a warm plate covered with foil.  The resting time is worth it.

Place some mashed sweet potato on each plate then the steaks.  Top with some roasted tomatoes and a good drizzle of the mint yoghurt sauce and garnish with the extra mint leaves.  So, so scrumptious.

This entry was posted in BBQ, Family Dinner. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Baharat BBQ Steaks With Sweet Potato Mash And Mint Yoghurt Sauce

1. Kathy says:

I stumbled across your georgeous blog recently. I really enjoy your writing and pics, very inspiring indeed! This is one dish that I will definitely be making for my family very soon, my mouth is watering thinking about it!
    Cheers, Kathy

Thanks Kathy for the encouraging words! I know when I read the recipe my mouth was watering thinking about it and I couldn’t wait to make it! It is so delicious. I hope your family thinks so too!

2. Victoria says:

This does look fantastic – I’m thinking loin lamb chops or even grilled ground lamb patties. I don’t know what sweet chili sauce is so I would appreciate it if you would explain. Thanks.

I hadn’t thought of lamb patties but that would be very good. I don’t even know if I have seen ground lamb yet, maybe I have in Whole Foods. Where do you get it from? It is so common in Australia and I miss it. But as for the sweet chilli sauce it is a Thai sauce. I have this brand in my fridge. http://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Sweet-25-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B00016UX0K
      Look in the Asian food isle where all the Thai food is. It isn’t very spicy. The original recipe used mango chutney and fresh chilli but I didn’t have mango chutney and I love sweet chilli sauce.

3. Anitra says:

Sounds fabulous & just the thing to spice up a BBQ towards the end of the aussie BBQ season- in fact perfect for before the rugby. It is always a pleasure reading your recipes- deceptively simple but stylish!

Thanks Anitra and yes it would be a perfect BBQ meal right before the rugby! We miss the rugby so much – well mostly just Joel and Levi. We do get cricket updates from our Indian neighbour though.

4. Catherine says:

Another fantastic recipe from you – thank you! I want to cook every recipe you post, you always make them look so appealing. Please keep the posts coming – I love them!

Thanks Catherine! I’m enjoying having a lot more time right now to cook and share yummy recipes. It kind of justifies my insatiable appetite for buying new cookbooks!

5. AndreaN says:

We had friends over for dinner last night and I made the BBQ steaks and they were absolutely divine. I used scotch fillet, prepared them about 4 hours before they were due to be on the plate – 3 minutes each side then rested for 10 minutes. The steak was soft, tender and juicy and the spices were just right – the smell of them cooking was almost as good as the eating! I wanted the meat to shine so we had them with a simple pine-nut, rocket, tomato and red onion salad with potatoes in their jackets dotted with knobs of butter. A big hit and I’ll be making them again for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

I’m so glad the steaks were a hit! It took me quite awhile to be able to cook good steaks but now I know how to do it, as opposed to just guessing, it is too easy. That salad and jacket potatoes sounds delicious! Nat