The Better Flour Tortillas

Flour Tortillas

A couple of years ago I posted up a Donna Hay recipe for Flour Tortillas.  It takes a bit of time to work the butter into the flour but the water measurements were way off. I would add half the required water and just slowly add a little more if needed.

Flour Tortillas

Annabel Langbein has since come up with an even easier recipe from her book ‘Simple Pleasures’ and I will use nothing else now.  Instead of butter there is oil (I use a vegetable oil) which cuts out half the work load.  I also love the addition of a teeny tiny bit of baking powder.  This results is a few big air bubbles puffing up when it is cooking and the end result is a lighter tortilla – not as dense.

Flour Tortillas

Annabel Langbein has posted a handy video on making the tortillas.  This is an easy recipe to get the kids involved with too.

Making your own tortillas is a great skill to have in your repertoire.  They have saved me many a time when I do not want to go to the shops and we need a quick lunch or dinner.  We will eat them like a salad pita or put some salsa and cheese between two tortillas and toast in a frypan on either side for a quesadilla.  Our favourite way is just to fill them like a soft taco with leftover cooked chicken, cheese, salsa, red onions and guacamole.  Or just to dunk in hot soup or in a bowl of homemade baked beans.  One of the dinners my mum used to make for us was a fried bread, similar to a flour tortilla, topped with spicy beans, a good grating of cheese and drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.  I loved it!

Speaking of love.  For Valentines Day some residents in Palo Alto decorated these trees as a tribute to the Stanford University football team’s win at the Rose Bowl.  There are hearts hanging on the trees, each one with a player’s name and their jersey number.  An unexpected surprise driving home.

Stanford Valentine Tree

flour tortillas

(from Annabel Langbein’s book ‘Simple Pleasures’)

3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup neutral oil
1 cup of very hot water

In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.  Add the oil and hot water and mix together then knead for a few minutes.  Cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 16 pieces.  Dust the bench and rolling pin with a little flour and roll each portion into a thin round tortilla.

Heat a frypan over a medium heat and cook the tortillas one at a time.  I roll one tortilla then get it on the pan whilst I start rolling out the next one.

When the tortilla starts to brown and puff up then flip it over and cook the other side for another minute.  Repeat with remaining dough.

This entry was posted in Basics, Bread, Cheap and Cheerful, Family Dinner, Kids In The Kitchen, School Lunches, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Better Flour Tortillas

1. Alice D says:

Exactly what I was after Nat! Haven’t been able to find a good recipe and have a hankering for some mex tonight! These would also work well in place of naan with a curry too I think!!

Oh yum, they certainly would Alice! I have brushed them with melted butter and garlic before to serve with curry but they aren’t as thick as naan but still taste pretty darn good!

2. Brooke says:

thanks so much for posting this nat! It only occurred to me recently how easy they may be to make, hence why I asked you on FB. Here in Dili one of the local supermarkets stocks a large number of Indian goods as there is a sizeable expat population here. I buy parathas and chapattis from the frozen section. It’s basically dough, already rolled but not cooked, separated with baking paper in the package, and frozzed! ;) To cook, just heat a dry fry pan, pull out one of the rolled out pieces and slap on the fry pan, a few mins each side. It made me think that perhaps burritos are cooked a similar way and now you’ve confirmed they are! Thank you! x

I’m glad I could enlighten you Brooke! I wonder what is different about them as I’m guessing they would be made from flour too. Are you going to make a Mexican feast?

3. Victoria says:

I have only ever used masa harina to make corn tortillas so I am looking forward to giving this a try. I did order a copy of Turkish Flavors (they must have Americanized it since there is no u). You would probably enjoy Nigella Lawson’s recipe for Cacik, a Turkish cucumber “salad.” I like to serve it with grilled meats.

Cacik adapted from Forever Summer by Nigella Lawson

1 small container thick, plain yogurt (I use Greek yogurt, full fat)
    1 large cucumber or 3 pickling size
    1 teaspoon dried mint
    Salt to taste
    Leaves from a few sprigs of fresh mint, chopped (plus a few extra for garnish, optional)
    1 – 2 cloves garlic, depending on size and intensity
    Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle over

Put the yogurt in a bowl. Peel the cucumber(s), and cut it (them) in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a pointy spoon, and dice the cucumber flesh. Add it to the yogurt, and mix. Stir in the dried mint, salt to taste, and the chopped fresh mint. Add the garlic, and mix it in. Drizzle the top lightly with olive oil. Add some extra mint leaves for garnish if you like.

I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for the recipe! I want to give a recipe a go on the weekend that calls for a yoghurt mint sauce but I mind do this instead. Yum!!!

4. Made these last night and they were SO EASY! I made extra hoping to have some leftovers for today but they were all gobbled up! It’s now unlikely I’ll ever buy burritos again. thanks!

5. megan says:

I declare these the BEST tortillas ever. Have had them two nights in a row…once with garlic as naan bread replacements with curry and last night with shredded pork…GREAT! Thanks Nat!

6. Nat, I made these last night and they were delicious! I had no idea it would be so easy. Ben told me I can’t make them again in such a big quantity – they were so good we ate them all by the end of the night! I served them with our soup/salad for dinner, then the kids asked for a quesadilla so I grilled it with some cheese, and I had at least one for dessert with some coconut oil and honey. Thanks!

Yum! I often will just halve the recipe if I’m making it for kids lunch boxes. 8 tortillas means the kids can eat 1 straight away (their favourite way to eat them) and 1 in their lunch box. Otherwise I would be eating way too many!