Fried Eggs With Hommus Bruschetta

With only a few slices remaining from my perfect Tartine loaf I had to be quite particular about what I topped them with.  I decided on a slight variation to a Karen Martini recipe which is suppose to be a breakfast bruschetta but I can assure you it worked very well for lunch and I can imagine it would be a pretty snazzy Sunday night supper too.

I have never tasted a bought hommus that appealed to me.  And why bother when it is such a breeze to whiz your own up, provided you have some sort of whizzer.  A mortar and pestle can be painfully slow when your tummy is grumbling with hunger.  I’m sure I’ve shared this very basic hommus before but I will share it again for easy reference.

My children are still not enrolled in school over here in America.  There are a lot of hurdles to jump, medical tests to be done, health insurance to be sorted out and paperwork to be filled.  Our local school is so close but there is no room for Matilda.  There is a wait list of 12 students to get Tilly into Grade 3.  There is space at the overflow school for all 3 so I might send them all but Levi and Essie can’t catch the school bus because they are suppose to be in the local school.  Hopefully by the end of next week it will all be sorted but like most things here it is just very different to Australia.

Joel has started work at Google and is as happy as a pig in mud.  I have never seen him just so excited about work and he comes home and raves about the yummy things he ate in the Google cafes.

Meanwhile I have four kids at home with me.  And home is an apartment, for the next couple of months, which doesn’t suit this brood of kids that have always had a big backyard to run around in, ride bikes in and designated ‘digging patches’ to get muddy in.  Thankfully there is a massive pool and the weather is warm.  With the kids not at school it means all four of them join me in the grocery shopping, and shopping here is a very new experience for me.  Flour is a bit confusing, milk is horribly confusing but mostly it just takes me a lot of time and a lot of different shops to find everything I need.

I have successfully started baking a loaf of bread every day – a basic wholemeal.  The kids have given it the thumbs up but it pales into insignificance next to the artful Tartine bread.  But we are heading into San Francisco in the morning for brunch and I’ll be sure to swing by Tartine later to get another loaf if Joel can forget how much they cost (editors note: I haven’t forgotten yet)!

fried eggs with hommus bruschetta for two

(a slight adaptation to Karen Martini’s recipe)

2 slices of sourdough bread, toasted
2 eggs
1 big handful of parsley
half a red shallot, finely sliced
a squeeze of lemon juice
a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sumac
sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper

hommus

1 tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, pounded up in a mortar and pestle
1 clove of garlic, pounded into a paste in a mortar and pestle
juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper

To make the hommus put the chickpeas, cumin, garlic, squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil into a food processor. Blitz until smooth then add more lemon juice, more olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Once the flavour is just right add a little water and blitz again until a smooth, spreadable consistency is reached.

In a bowl toss together the parsley leaves and finely sliced red shallots with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and season to taste.

Spread a generous amount of the hommus on each piece of toasted sourdough. Heat up a non-stick frypan and fry the eggs, sunny side up, then slide onto the toast.  Top with a mound of the parsley and shallot salad.  Sprinkle over the sumac and season with salt and pepper.

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Lunch, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Fried Eggs With Hommus Bruschetta

1. Anna Wiese says:

Yum! this looks great, love homemade hummus – we have just found out that our eldest has yeast intolerances (amongst a few others) but this recipe he will be able to have so thanks for giving me some quick inspiration when I haven’t had time to look up many different ideas so it has been rather a bland week with all the exclusions. Hope the school thing gets sorted out quickly – it can be so hard in a different country trying to work everything out, much easier if you can figure some stuff out on your own – not to mention apartment living! :-) Take care – love hearing how things are going.

Oh Anna I can only imagine how tricky it would be trying to create new ideas to work around intolerances. The poor kid. We are settling well and I am sure you have settled quickly back in gorgeous Tasmania! I would love to visit!

2. Victoria says:

This looks delicious and is a combination I never would have thought of, and I think the idea of making it for Sunday supper is brilliant.

Regarding butcher shops, I live in New York City, and it’s not so hard to find a real butcher or at least a store with a real butcher department, but I find the quality of the meat differs greatly from butcher to butcher, and it’s very important to find one who moves their products, especially chicken. Oddly, BOTH of my grandfathers were butchers – my dad’s in New York City, and my mother’s in Cheshire, England – so I am especially partial to seeking one out. I can’t speak to the your area (and I will ask my friend who lives in San Francisco what she knows), but you would probably have better luck at Whole Foods than Trader Joe’s. All the Whole Foods in NYC have a good meat department, certainly much better than a supermarket.

Good luck getting all your loose ends worked out. I am looking forward to following your adventure.

Thanks Victoria! I haven’t found a butcher yet but Whole Foods has a great range but a little pricey. Lamb doesn’t seem to be big here and we all love it and miss it. I found some local lamb and some lamb all the way from New Zealand! I haven’t bought any because it is beyond pricey. We are hoping to get over to New York city for a little trip sometime. I cannot wait! If you have any family friendly recommendations I’m all ears!

3. Leiza says:

Nat…I clearly remember having milk anxiety so could relate very well. Flour, we all decided self raising flour was only ok in savory things and the good old fashioned flour and baking powder for everything else. I’m really enjoying your updates and have already checked to see that sur la table is in Houston!!! Good luck with schools

Leiza I’m pretty good on the flour now I think. I have tried several brands of flour and have found one I like – King Arthur I think it is called. I do love the huge gallons of milk here. Very handy for our big family and the fridge doors are so huge to accomodate the gallon bottles! Happy travels to you Leiza to the land of the free and the home of the brave!

4. Natalie, I can’t believe you’re baking bread already! You are amazing. I bought the Tartine cook book a few months ago, a little splurge but it is so delicious looking, and I just finally got a dutch oven at the thrift store yesterday so I am super keen to start baking bread their way.

Sorry to hear about the troubles getting the kids into the local school. That is hard but so great that Joel is enjoying work.

Have you started with your Tartine sourdough Sharolyn? I haven’t. Just sticking with my basic wholemeal loaf for now but I’m keen to give it a go. You perhaps are busy with more important things right now!

5. Sandy says:

Hi Nat, I love your blog, all your amazing recipes and food ideas…. You have so much energy and such an inspiration when I read your blog.
    I am happy to hear your all arrived safely and are settled in America.. I use to work with Joel at TMR., I am so jealous of your wonderful family experience…I hope it all works out well for you all and this adventure fills your family with wonderful life long memories.
    Let Joel know I am missing the unless phone calls from the pool builder and McCarthy homes.
    Take care, Sandy

6. Josie from Ashgrove says:

Hey Natalie! I’m hoping to get some rec’s for you… but I think you may also have to resort to making your own coffee at home too! My SF contacts want to know what area of town you’re in so they can direct you to local places.

Hope the settling in goes smoothly – its never easy though no matter where you are!

Hi Josie, we are in San Francisco south bay – Silicone Valley. Slowly settling although Levi is enjoying life here much more than I expected!