Chai Latte Cupcakes

When we lived in Sydney one of my favourite shops to visit was Herbies at Rozelle.  A little red corner shop stocked with a huge range of herbs and spices and I would always leave with so much more then I planned.  I could stock up on the basics and also discover some obscure spices which would open up a whole new world of cooking for me.  So much better than clothes or shoe shopping!

Ian (Herbie) Hemphill from Herbies has sent me 6 packs of their Chai Spice Mix.  Last night I opened up one of the packs and made myself a soy Chai latte with some honey stirred in.  Perfect to sip on a cold Winter’s night.  It had a bit of a kick to it which was incredible and invigorating.

I did a little baking and a little experimenting to try and recreate the milky, spicy, honey warmth in the form of a cupcake.  It worked!  So very delicious but it wasn’t as spicy as the drink which meant the kids completely devoured the cupcakes.  Dark brown sugar gives the cupcakes a little more depth to compliment the Chai spices and the drizzle of honey flavouring the icing and a sprinkle of cinnamon brings the cupcake together.  Yummy!

If you would like to be in the running to win one of the five remaining Herbies Chai Spice Mix packs then leave a comment below telling and tell us what your favourite spice is.  Hmmm …  tough question.  The spices I use the most are cumin and coriander but today my favourite spice would be fennel seeds – it brings a vegetable soup to life!

Winners will be announced Friday…

chai latte cupcakes

honey icing

125g unsalted butter, softened
320g icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon mild honey or more to taste
ground cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.  Line a tray of 12 cupcakes with paper cases.

Warm the milk and add the tea and Chai spice mix.  Leave to infuse for 20 minutes then strain.  Discard the tea and spices and reserve the milk.

Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Sift the flours and baking powder together and set aside.  Whisk the eggs into the infused milk.  Add the flours and milk mixture alternately to the creamed butter and sugar.  Mix until well combined.

Fill the paper cases two-thirds full and bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes spring back when touched.  Remove from the tray and leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack.

To make the icing, cream the butter until light and very fluffy.  Add the icing sugar, milk and honey and continue to mix for another 5 minutes.  Ice the cooled cupcakes and finish them with a light sprinkle of ground cinnamon.  Best eaten the day they are made!

This entry was posted in Afternoon Tea, Baking, Cakes. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Chai Latte Cupcakes

1. Elizabeth says:

I just love cinnamon. I can’t help it, to me it means magic and anything I add it to like a stew, or a cake, or my coffee makes me feel like Christmas day.

2. Sharolyn says:

Hmmm, I agree that I would be lost without cumin as I use it so often. And I was going to say fennel is my current favourite, as we’ve been making french lentils with fresh thyme and fennel seeds lately and the aniseed taste is delicous, but I don’t want to copy you so I will say… garam masala. I am not even entirely sure what that has in it, but we love Indian and it’s usually in there somewhere.

3. Sharolyn says:

PS sorry to post this comment here… but I’m curious about how Elizabeth has a picture next to her name and I don’t, any idea how to fix this seeing as I notice Elizabeth has a blogspot too… 🙂 Ta

4. Alice says:

I love star anise, which is perhaps a herb but can be found in spice mixes so does that count? I love that it can be used in sweet desserts, spicy curry, drinks and for medicinal purposes yet has such a distinct flavour.

5. Angela says:

Although it has already been identified as a favourite, I have to give a vote for cinnamon as well. I bought another lot yesterday as I use it so much…in curries, tagines, desserts, cakes, muffins…I simply love the smell of cinnamon cooking. I think my next favourite would be Ras El Hanout, which I use in a lot of morroccan dishes. I would be great to the make these cupcakes as my daughter Pip always orders a Chai latte. She says it is simply the best, as I am sure these cupcakes are.
    Regards
    Angela

6. Naomi Chambers says:

The subtlety of cardamom wins everytime – especially in desserts!

7. Lili Foster says:

I would have to say mine would be cardamon and ginger …. mmm they are just sp good in everything

8. Kimberley says:

I always find myself reaching for coriander, but it’s far better fresh! I’ve really been enjoying saffron rice lately, with turmeric for colour. Yum.

9. Megs says:

Well, I too love Cinnamon for both sweet and savory dishes, but I have also been loving Chinese 5 spice lately too.
    Chai would have to be my absolute favourite especailly on these cold cold days and nights!

10. Laura says:

Those cupcakes look delicious! I love Herbies too, when I lived in Sydney I couldn’t get enough. Mixed Spice is definately my favourite, it makes any baked goods amazing, although you can’t get it here in Germany – I had to stock up in London.

11. Sharolyn says:

ooh thanks Nat, I followed the Gravatar link and it worked, now I have a picture! Ta

12. Kimberley says:

Just made this recipe Nat. Absolutely delish.