Sweet Corn Fritters With Roast Tomato And Bacon

I have been challenged of late to get busy with some delicious breakfasts.  So I turned to the breakfast king, Bill Granger, and gave his Sweetcorn Fritters with Roast Tomato and Bacon a whirl.  I like this with a generous dollop of guacamole with lots of lime juice and coriander.

I’m not ready for breakfast when I first wake up in the morning.  A cup of tea will keep me going for a little while.  So it suits me to take my time to make something special for a weekend breakfast, brunch or lunch.

The roast tomatoes are suppose to be halved Roma tomatoes.  I just had cherry tomatoes and they didn’t need much time at all in the oven.  They were perfect.  A bit of time management is needed to get everything hot and ready to serve at the same time.

sweetcorn fritters with roast tomato and bacon

(from Bill Granger’s ‘Bill’s Sydney Food’)

serves 4

1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob
1/2 cup diced red capsicum
1/2 cup sliced spring onions
1/4 cup coriander and parsley, chopped
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

to serve

8 halves roast tomatoes (see below)
1 bunch rocket, washed and dried
4 rashes bacon
olive oil

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and paprika into a bowl.  Stir in sugar and make a well in centre.  Combine the eggs and milk in a separate bowl and gradually add to dry ingredients, whisking till smooth.

In a large bowl place the corn, capsicum, spring onions and herbs.  Add just enough of the batter to bind the ingredients together.

In a large non-stick frypan, heat half the vegetable oil.  Drop 2 tablespoons of the batter for each fritter into the pan, cooking 4 at a time.  Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, until nicely browned.  Keep fritters warm whilst cooking the remaining 4.

Place one fritter on each plate, top with 2 halves of roast tomato, a handful of rocket and a rasher of grilled bacon.  Top with one more fritter and drizzle over and around a little olive oil.  Finish with a good ground of black pepper and a little salt.

roast tomatoes

4 ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthways
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.   Place tomatoes on a baking tray, cut side up and drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle over salt and pepper and roast for 40 minutes.

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Lunch. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sweet Corn Fritters With Roast Tomato And Bacon

1. Sharolyn says:

These look really gooood!

2. Angela says:

Hi Nat,
    I always prefer fresh, but would these work with a can of corn…that way they can be made on a whim you can.
    Also this is a more of a clarification, but when you refer to spring onions, they are what Coles and Woolies call shallots? I have had this dicussion recently with a woman, about the difference between French shallots and what are commonly called shallots(that I know as spring onions).
    Loving your posts,
    Angela

I have not tried canned corn but I don’t think it would be a problem at all. Hmmm … the onions are tricky. Always called different things. I refer to the long green ones as spring onions, that is what this recipe calls for. The small onions with red or brown paper skin I refer to as shallots or French shallots. And then the long green variety with a small white onion on the end – maybe they are called salad onions (rarely use them).

• Roo says:

In the UK, the names ‘spring onions’ and ‘salad onions’ are used synonymously for the exact same thing. Shallots, however, are a small round or oval shaped onion, that is much finer and sweeter than a white onion.

It is all quite confusing! What I generally refer to as ‘spring onions’ are really scallions or eschallots.

3. Angela says:

Thanks Nat. That is my classification for onions as well. It is sometimes difficult to decifer from recipes what is really meant in the way of onions.
    Anyway, Pip will love this recipe as she adores fresh corn anything.
    Thanks again.

4. Glenda says:

Hi Natalie
    I had these at Bill’s the other day. They were great so I decided to makes them at home. Thanks for the recipe.

5. Pingback: Corn fritters | Adventures in the Veggie Box