Mum’s Jam Drops

This recipe is from my mum and I think they are the best jam drops around.  I have tried so many other recipes for jam drops but I missed the chewy, coconut yumminess of the jam drops I grew up on.  It is the golden syrup and dessicated coconut that set these jam drops apart from all the others. Keep the rounds of cookie dough small as they do spread. A thumb print or the end of a wooden spoon handle provides the perfect indent for the jam.  I have kept one of those itty bitty baby spoons from when Elliott was a baby as it is the perfect size to neatly drop the jam into the cookies. mum’s jam drops 4 ounces (just under 115g) unsalted butter, softened 1 cup caster sugar 1 egg 1 teaspoon golden syrup 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut 2 cups self-raising flour jam, to fill Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.  Add the egg and beat well.  Then mix in the coconut and syrup.  Sift the flour over the top and mix together. Roll tablespoons of the dough into a ball and place on a lined baking tray.  Press a hole in the centre and fill with jam.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

This entry was posted in Baking, Cookies, School Lunches. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Mum’s Jam Drops

1. Sharolyn says:

How are your mum and dad going overseas Nat? I meant to email/write and thank her, could you maybe send me her email if she has one? I managed to get the hang of sourdough basics before I left and also got my mum hooked. Just found a great artisan baker here today where they mill their own flour so I should be able to buy it in bulk from them. Just moved into our own place so am looking forward to establishing some healthy eating routines. Love your work, say hi to the kids and Joel for me. Xo

2. Angela says:

What a lovely post. I haven’t made jam drops for years…used to make them when the kids were young. They would love to help make the dent with their thumbs and then fill with jam. I used my mum’s recipe, which was pretty standard, so I will certainly make these ones as I love the addition of coconut. I think the family will enjoy some golden oldies instead of all the new recipes I continually try.
    What jam do you like best? I can’t remember if I was partial to raspberry or strawberry.
    regards
    Angela

3. natalie says:

Glad you have moved into your own place and getting settled Sharolyn. Can’t wait to see your bread baking!
    Thanks Angela – raspberry jam. I will happily have either but I really do love raspberry jam. But right now all I want is a nice thick apricot conserve. I bought a kilo of apricots this morning to make just that. I have a multigrain, seed and nut sourdough sliced up in the freezer and each morning I’m having a piece for breakfast with some jam. I am having raspberry jam but I’m craving apricot so will make some this weekend.

4. Linda D says:

I used to make Jam Drops with my Nana when I was a child. It has remained one of my most vivid memories of her. I tried your recipe yesterday and it is really delicious. I now have a granddaughter and can’t wait until she is old enough to enjoy making these lovely biscuits with me. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, and for giving me the opportunity to relive my memories of a sun-drenched country kitchen with an old wood fired stove, peeling red lino on the floor and a big wooden table in the middle of the room that served as both a workbench and a dining table.

What a beautiful memory to have Linda of your Nana. And a lovely memory of a country kitchen – sounds idealic. I’m so happy the simple recipe for jam drops enriched your day.

5. Michelle says:

Hi Natalie, Just made these, best jam drops ever.

6. Amanda says:

Hi can the batter be frozen?