Moroccan Lamb Tagine With Pomegranate and Cherries

Joel’s aunt Angela cooks beautiful, delicious food.  Every time we have eaten her creations I’m always left wishing I had asked for recipes and a cooking lesson. We were treated to dinner at Angela and Uncle Rod’s place last week. They are always such generous hosts and this time was no exception.

moroccan lamb tagine with pomegranate and cherries

vegetable couscous

prue’s gianduja mousse

mango coconut parfait

mini creme caramel

Angela has shared with me some of her favourite recipes which I’m really keen to try.  I have made 2 out of the 6 recipes and they are fabulous and I will share them over the next couple of days. Plus she has given me some fantastic ideas on presentation for desserts and cakes in particular.  I had so much fun learning, eating and chatting about cooking and recipes.

The lamb tagine was so delicious I haven’t stopped talking about it.  A bit of sweetness, a bit of heat.  Not much heat though as Levi said it wasn’t spicy at all and Elliott couldn’t shove the meat in his mouth fast enough – we are still working on our table manners.

The meat was incredibly tender and flavoursome.  It was slow cooked until the meat was falling off the bone and then the bone was removed and it was very easy to serve.

moroccan lamb tagine with pomegranate and cherries

2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon oil
1 kg lamb (after de-boning)
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon grated garlic
1 -2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, cut into slivers
100 grams approx. cherries (fresh or frozen)
3 fresh figs, cut in quarters
1 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
a few sprigs of fresh mint or parsley, for garnish

Combine the paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon zest.  Coat the lamb with the spices, and rub in well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours, preferably overnight.

When ready to cook the meal, place the lamb in a tagine & add the onion, garlic and ginger.  Next add the sun dried tomatoes, cherries, and figs.
Lastly add the pomegranate juice and chicken stock powder, then gently stir.

Cover and bake in the oven on a low temperature (150°C) for 4- 5 hours or until the lamb is tender and falling off of the bone.

Serve with couscous and garnish with mint or flat-leaf parsley.

This entry was posted in Entertaining, Family Dinner. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Moroccan Lamb Tagine With Pomegranate and Cherries

1. tiel says:

this looks so delicious. right up my alley. Can I ask what cut of lamb you used? And also. I’ve been wanting to buy a tagine, but haven’t because we have electric stove top and wasn’t really sure how useful it would be. What are your thoughts?

I have an Emile Henry tagine and it says it can be used on an electric burner. Having said that most of the recipes I have actually say to brown meat and saute veges in a fry pan before adding to the tagine and then popping the tagine in the oven. So even if you didn’t get a flametop tagine you could get plenty of use out of it. I only use mine on the stove top for 2 recipes I think – all the rest slow cook in the oven.
      As for the lamb cut – I will double check what Angela used.
      I have a recipe for a salad that I serve with tagines that I should track down. It would go so perfectly with this lamb.

A leg of lamb. Either de-boned or cook it on the bone and remove prior to serving. Angela also recommends starting with a 1 1/2 kilo leg of lamb to account for the bone and excess fat.

2. Angela says:

Nat, you are so very kind. We had a thoroughly wonderful night with you and the family. It was actually lots of fun. I look forward to hearing how the other recipes go…hope they do not disappoint. Altough an aunt, I see you more as a friend, sharing the same enthusiam for food, and of course family.
    Regards
    Angela

3. Cassie says:

my mouth is watering!

4. Tiel says:

Thank you. There’ll be the smells of moroccan lamb in kenmore hills tonight. Yummo. Will let you know.

5. Kat says:

This sounds delicious. I’ve been looking for a an on the bone recipe and this sounds ideal. Can I just ask whether it takes longer to cook on the bone or does it take a similar amount of time?

It will take around 4 -5 hours on the bone to cook. A little less if it is de-boned. So much nicer to cook it on the bone but the true test on whether it is ready or not is when the meat is falling off the bone and easily broken up with a couple of forks. Enjoy!

6. Andrew Lamb says:

I made this the other day, but with mutton instead of lamb. Delicious – thanks!

I have never cooked with mutton but I guess the slow cooking would help the mutton to be tender. It sure is a brilliant recipe!